Table of Contents
How To Take Care Of Yorkshire Terriers Hair
Yorkshire Terriers are a breed of dog that are really very small! In fact, the weight of a Yorkie goes up to 4-7 pounds. Therefore, you have to be extra careful in the treatment of the puppies’ hair. You will have to make sure that you follow all the right methods in order to keep the hair of your Yorkie healthy and strong.
One thing to remember here, is that this breed is a single coated breed – meaning it does not shed hair. The hair is fine, smooth and silky. Yorkshire Terrier hair can grow up to 14 inches in length, but there is nothing to worry about if the hair are shorter than that length. Whether the hair is long or short, if you are not going to take proper care of it, it may become troublesome – and even may start matting.
By following proper methods you can take good care of your Yorkie’s hair. Since the hairs are smooth, silky and long, they will require a lot of your attention.
How To Keep Yorkie Hair From Matting?
A lot of people out there face the issue of matting with the long hair of their Yorkie’s, but if you follow the right methods of looking after the hair, this problem can be completely eliminated. Below is a list of things that you can do in order to prevent your Yorkie’s hair from matting.
- The first thing that you should do to prevent matting from occurring, is to comb the hair of your Yorkie daily. For completing this task, you will need a pin brush and a detangling spray.
- Make a mixture of dog conditioner and water, make sure to damp the entire coat of your Yorkie with this mixture.
- The major reason for matting or tangles is either body oil or dirt. Therefore, if you can prevent that you can actually prevent the hair from matting. But, here the question arises… How are you going to do this? The answer to this question is simply keeping the Yorkie clean and bathing it at least one in a week. Your pup might appear clean, but you have to make sure that you give him or her timely baths. Remember, do not use a human shampoo when bathing your Yorkie, it is too acidic and can make the skin of the pup dry and itchy. Therefore, you must always use a dog or puppy shampoo when bathing your dog. You can apply the shampoo gently on the skin by massaging it with your fingers.
How To Keep A Yorkie’s Coat Shiny?
By using the dog shampoo itself you can keep the coat of the Yorkie quite shiny, but if you are looking for extra shine a good option would be to use a dog-friendly conditioner. If you are using the conditioner on the coat, make sure to rinse the shampoo properly before doing so. When you apply the conditioner on a weekly basis, it makes the coat of your pup smooth, silky and shiny.
It is important when applying the conditioner that you must follow the correct methods. The most important thing in this regard is to make sure that you apply the conditioner thoroughly on the coat of your Yorkie, without leaving any part unattended. Special attention should be given to the area around the genitals because if you ignore this area there is a high probability that the hair around that area becomes painfully tangled. This tangling of hair around the genitals is because of the small amount of urine and fecal matter mostly stick in this area. Therefore, you have to be extra careful while applying conditioner especially near or around the genitals of your Yorkie. Once you are done conditioning make sure to rinse the conditioner out properly, also use a towel to dry the fur and be gentle with the towel. You wouldn’t want to be harsh with the towel, and end up damaging the hair even further.
To completely dry the hair of the Terrier – make sure to use a pet dryer. If you are going to leave the hair to dry naturally, then there is a high risk that your Yorkie might get sick. Therefore, it is really important to use a dryer after bathing your pup, every time. One thing to remember while using a dryer is to keep it constant motion because if not done so it can burn the skin of your dog. Once you feel that the hair of your Yorkie is completely dry, it is advisable that you should use a fine-toothed comb to comb through the pups locks.
How To Support Yorkie Hair Growth?
We all know that Yorkie’s are known for their silky smooth and long hair that falls from the sides. But in some cases, it is known that the growth of the hair is not up to the usual Yorkshire Terrier standards as outlined by the Kennel Club. If you have a similar problem you can try doing the following things:
- Feed the Yorkie dog food that is of high quality enriched with vitamins and minerals.
- Make sure to brush the coat of the Terrier daily, this will enhance the hair growth.
- You can also add a supplement of Omega 3 in the diet of the Terrier.
If you liked this review, please rate below.